About This Blog

This blog is for unsigned Metal bands and bands on small labels. Whilst setting up my promotions company, I noticed that a lot of sites don't cover demo bands and bands just starting out. Hopefully this small corner of the internet will have redress the balance, ever so slightly


Monday 24 November 2014

Vihaan - Invicta



Vihaan - Invicta

Vihaan are from Detroit in the US and their music is described as a mix of Death Metal, Prog and Jazz. Alarm bells are going off in my head already, as I’m not a fan of anything of the technical variety, nor Jazz and almost immediately, that’s what I’m confronted with.

Now, I can tell you already, this isn’t my thing. When something fires off on different tangents, 9 times out of 10, it doesn’t feel natural to my lone brain cell. The flow of the music generally doesn’t work for me. But just because I don’t like, it doesn’t make it a bad album.

The playing here is faultless. I like the vocals, but not the music. To be fair, some of the music takes me back to the likes of Genesis and earlier Rush, and I’m ok with both bands. But the arrangements…. I’m just not a fan and it leaves me cold.


So for those that like a bit of noodling, a flurry of time changes, supreme/precise musicianship, and everything else that goes with the territory,  you’ll like this. For me though, it’s like trying to chop down a tree with a plastic axe, fucking hard going.


No comments:

Post a Comment