About This Blog

This blog is for unsigned Metal bands and bands on small labels. Whilst setting up my promotions company, I noticed that a lot of sites don't cover demo bands and bands just starting out. Hopefully this small corner of the internet will have redress the balance, ever so slightly


Wednesday 10 September 2014

Nox Aeternum - In Girum Imus Nocte Et Consumimur Igni


Nox Aeternum - In Girum Imus Nocte Et Consumimur Igni

Fuck me, that’s a mouthful of a title. And as I’ve not studied Latin for approximately 33 and a bit years, Google told me it translates roughly as “we go round and round in the night and are consumed by fire”. That sounds like arsonists wet dream.

Anyway, I like this opus from Nox Aeternum, a (one man) band I’ve been following for a while now.
It’s nice to see Andrew (Hart) broaden his range as he’s included many different flavours to the Blackened core. Riffs that hint at Voivod type weirdness, some Gregorian chanting, a bit of majestic Satyricon at the beginning, just subtle changes that I’m noticing in the make-up of Nox Aeternum’s sound for the first time.

Andrew has obviously become a bit bolder with his arrangements and his song writing in general.  And although most of it’s probably down to a natural progression, there is a more mature feel to this album. Especially with the small acoustic interludes and other more structured changes.

The manic vocals on 1692 Andover are also a standout moment on the album, and the samples on Salvation and Rebirth elevate the song towards greatness. For what it is, a low budget, recorded at home one man band album, the results are superb.

I guess I would call this Black Metal if someone held a gun to head, shit I’d call it anything they wanted if the gun was loaded. But there’s such a diversity to the album that all of the various parts spread this album right across the spectrum of Extreme Metal. So fans of Death Metal should enjoy this album as much as those that like their Metal just a little darker.

I’m sure Andrew is proud of this album and so he should be. This is a very good platform to start making some decent progress in the underground.


No comments:

Post a Comment