About This Blog

This blog is for unsigned Metal bands and bands on small labels. Whilst setting up my promotions company, I noticed that a lot of sites don't cover demo bands and bands just starting out. Hopefully this small corner of the internet will have redress the balance, ever so slightly


Friday 27 June 2014

Week number 4 and it's mainly Black Metal and a couple of jigs this week





Capgrass - Reflections

I like Black Metal, but I’m not a big fan of the majority of the genres founders, nor of the utterly raw, lo-fi variety. My sedentary tastes are more in-tune with the melodic and atmospheric forms of Black Metal.

So when I discovered Argentinian band Capgrass this week, well, I’d finally found my Black Metal Helvete. It’s melodic, very accessible, yet still retaining plenty of bite, particularly on the (almost) epic, Disruption Of The Deepest Dreams.

Their debut release has 5 tracks, plus an intro, clocking in at around the 26 minute mark, and that’s enough to convince me that these guys are as good as anything I’ve heard doing this style of Black Metal.

Those looking for something a bit more “true” probably won’t like this as much, but for those that enjoy a modicum of melody in their music, you should find plenty to enjoy here.




Vragh - Iskopan
Like me, I’m sure, the first thing you notice is the cover. Not the most “Metal” looking cover I’ve ever seen, despite the striking nature of the picture, it’s a slightly strange choice. But I think it’s actually a brave move by the band.  And one that could actually help them standout in a very over-crowded market.

Musically, it’s a bit different too. Hailing from Serbia, the band claim to have “a touch of Serbian black metal spice for a unique taste”. I’ve no idea of what’s the norm on the Serbian scene, but this album does feel very unique.

The core of their sound is undeniably Black Metal, but there’s so much else going on, it’s impossible to pin down why this does feel so very different.

There’s a slight theatrical feel to the album. The dynamics constantly shift, the song structures flit in and out of melodies, with the occasional bout of off-kilter sounds that seem to wrestle with Vragh’s more melodic tendencies. The vocals follow a similar path, with two contrasting styles battling for supremacy.

And that’s what I love about this album. You constantly get to hear something different on every listen. And to top it all off, you can get the album for free from the bands Bandcamp page.






Chiral - Abisso
Shit, this is fast becoming a very Black Metal orientated update. But, as Chiral are featured on my compilation, which is out next week, it would be rude not to include the bands brand new EP in this weeks update.

If you visit the Chiral Bandcamp page, you are greeted with:
“Abisso:
A raw black metal journey through pain, death and solitude as seen by Chiral.”

And that is spot on with where the band are. Raw, but with good production, this is as beautiful as it is miserable. Maybe that’s because I always find music that’s tinged with misery very uplifting.

The star of the show is the mammoth title track, which pounds away for just over 10 glorious minutes, before fading out gently with soothing acoustic guitars.

A times this is a bit primitive, but it’s still an absolute joy to my ears, especially the more classical flourishes which are littered throughout the release.

Well worth checking out: https://chiral27.bandcamp.com/




Spotify Band Of The Week
Ok, let’s break away from the darker side of Metal with the Folk inspired goings on from Spain’s Celtibeerian.

Keltorevolution is a mishmash of violins, violas, bagpipes, whistles and both male and female vocals.

I was trying to think of who to compare them to, and I’d probably say somewhere between Eluveitie and a less cartoony version of Korpikaani. Quality wise, this matches any of the bands signed to the big Metal labels, and this album is actually self released.

So get jigging around your computer to the Irish sounding “The Booze Song” and the feel good factor of “Win Another Battle”, before consuming crazy amounts of alcohol and raising the horns.

This is very happy Metal

Search for Celtibeerian on Spotify, or use the direct link: http://open.spotify.com/artist/6DdV1uJJ5JHD22ad5MyFwk
or visit them via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Celtibeerian

I was supposed to be adding some music videos at this point, but Blogger is being a pain in the ass and they won't embed, so I'll be adding some new videos to by Facebook page this week
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixsixsixmusic/1405099836423721 



SixSixSix Music Update
I’ve had a very busy week. I sent out the 1st batch of promos for the In Metal We Trust compilation, which is out on Tuesday via my Bandcamp page, with another load to go out over the weekend.

The album will be online sometime on Tuesday morning. I think it takes a very long 3 hours to upload, so whilst you’re eating lunch on Tuesday, spend an extra $1 on an 11 track compilation.

And at last, just 5 weeks later than planned, we have the new Wolves Of Avalon album. I’ll add a pre-release offer over the weekend to Bandcamp. The album will also be out via the likes of Amazon and iTunes. Release date should be July 21st and I have no control over how much they charge for it. So via Bandcamp and the link I’ll include on www.sixsixsixmusic.com (on July 21st) will be the cheapest options for downloads. More details on the cd version closer to the release date.


I’ll publish full details about the album, entitled Boudicca’s Last Stand, next week. And maybe an exclusive airing of one of the tracks. Possibly The Sky Goddess, featuring Hildr Valkyrie, as it’s so stunning.

And there will be details of a competition I'm running with the forum, Black Phoenix Rising http://blackphoenixrising.freeforums.org/index.php 















No comments:

Post a Comment